Tutup Iklan Close Ad
Connect with us


This Poor Dude Got Stuck On Top Of His Car During The Flash Flood In KL Yesterday



An image of a guy sitting on top of his mostly submerged car was viral on social media yesterday.

According to several reports, he had to climb out of his car window and sit on top of his car when a sudden gush of water poured into a tunnel on Jalan Tun Razak during heavy rain in Kuala Lumpur yesterday evening (11 Nov).

Teh, 26, said he was really scared and decided to stay put, sitting on the roof of his Honda Civic before rescuers came to save him and four others stuck in the tunnel.

“I did not expect the pool of water to be so dangerous as there was a lorry in front of me … suddenly water started seeping into my car so I quickly wound down my window and crawled out to safety. I was later saved by rescuers who arrived at the location,” he said when contacted by Bernama.

Teh sat waiting on his car for help as the Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department rushed to the scene after receiving an emergency call at 5.56pm.

According to the department, seven rescuers arrived at the scene and found five vehicles and drivers stuck in the tunnel. They managed to rescue all five people safely within 10 minutes.

Sadly, Teh’s car, which is almost a year old, was severely damaged by the water.

Initially, many news sites reported that the tunnel Teh was stuck in was SMART tunnel. However, the SMART tunnel management later clarified on their Facebook page that the flooded tunnel was a different one.

They even shared a map to point out which tunnel it really was…

According to a report by The Star, SMART had received a signal from the Department of Irrigation and Drainage at 5.49pm for them to close the SMART highway from traffic to enable the SMART Mode 3 activation.

“Mode 3 is the status used to indicate that the SMART tunnel is being operated to divert excessive water from Sg Klang and Sg Ampang away from the SMART coverage areas, thus, saving it from floods,” said SMART in a statement to The Star.

SMART was then reopened to traffic at 7.35pm later that day.

Several parts of KL suffered almost two hours of non-stop heavy rain yesterday causing several flash floods to take place. The rain, which began at around 4pm, caused water to build up in the tunnel heading from Jalan Tun Razak towards KLCC and Jalan Loke Yew, said Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) Enforcement Department in a report by Bernama.

Areas affected include Jalan Wirawati, Jalan Pudu Ulu, Jalan Pudu Perdana, Jalan Cheras, and Jalan Kepong.

In other news, the photo of Teh sitting on top of his car was widely shared by Malaysians via WhatsApp yesterday, making him a meme.

We’re glad Teh and the four other people are alright, and hope everyone else who was affected by the heavy rain and flood in KL yesterday are OK too. Stay safe, folks!

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *